Journalism is basically getting information and distributing it to various media channels such as TV, Radio, newspaper, and social media. This is the reason why journalism is quite a wide field. This means that when you are looking for a journalism research topic for your undergraduate projects, master’s thesis or a dissertation, you have access to a limitless list. However, it is important not to choose a very broad subject as it may lead to confusion. When considering a dissertation topic, narrow it down to a specific question. This will give you more focus and an easier time when carrying out the research. Ensure your research topic is also not very narrow as that would give you a hard time looking for relevant information.
Unlike other fields, a dissertation in journalism is considered to be of good quality if the information received from the interviewee is of good quality. A dissertation in journalism is more than an expression of theoretical knowledge, it has to be more practical and real. Here are just some subjects that one may choose to focus on when working on a journalism dissertation:
News is the most common aspect of journalism. This is basically the most straight-forward aspect of journalism. News journalists basically have to distribute facts just the way they are. There are several research topics that can be very appropriate for this journalism aspect:
1. The future of journalism. Is true journalism dead? Is social media, paparazzi, blogging the future of journalism?
2. Propaganda models. Which propaganda models do the media houses follow? How do different countries differ in how they practice journalism?
3. Privacy and journalism. A look at the relationship between British journalism and royal family. How has journalism contributed to Henry and Meghan’s change of lifestyle?
4. Journalism and business. Where do media people draw the line? Is the main goal to inform the public or to make money? How do different media houses compromise (in terms of quality) in a bid to attract and keep investors (advertisers).
5. Political instability in African countries. How has journalism contributed to political turmoil in Kenya?
6. Women journalists in media. How are women journalists treated in the world? What are the limitations faced by women journalists? Are there places that women journalists shouldn’t be sent to?
Investigative journalism is an aspect of journalism that aims at uncovering the truth concerning an issue, an event, or even a person. For investigative and political journalism to be effective, information distributed must be factual.
1. Media and image. How does media help establish a country’s image? How can media help change Afghanistan’s negative image in the eyes of the world?
2. Media and power hungry politicians. What role does the media play in ensuring that such politicians are kept in check?
3. Dangers of investigative journalism. A look at several journalists who have suffered while doing investigative journalism. What steps can media houses take to keep their investigative journalists safe?
4. Media in the developing countries. How have politics shaped the developing countries? Why do politicians in developing countries keep giving empty promises that are never fulfilled?
5. What has made USA to be the superpower that it is? The competition between USA and China for the top seat, what role does the media play in this?
6. Corruption and politics. A look at Kenyan government and corruption. Why do the two co-exist so efficiently? How has corruption wounded Kenyan economy?
You may also like: The little secret why your friends are earning better grades
Film and animation involves concepts such as film making, screen writing, editing, and camera work. Film and animation is very broad and often studied separate from journalism. Here are several topics you can choose from:
1. Role of race and religion in Hollywood. How are Arabic men depicted in Hollywood cinema?
2. Hollywood and Bollywood. How can the two be compared? How have they affected the world economy? How have they changed cultures in the world?
3. Place of Nollywood on the film market. How can Nollywood filmmakers improve their industry?
4. Bollywood. How has Bollywood grown over time? How has its growth affected Indian economy?
5. Hollywood and violence. Has Hollywood led to increased cases of violence especially among the youths?
6. Television or cinema? Is television becoming more popular than cinema?
Corporate communication is an important aspect of mass media. Every organization needs a communication department to help in managing all communications in and out of the organization. Corporate communication helps make efficient communication between an organization with its suppliers, investors, customers, employees among others.
Advertising on the other hand involves promoting a product or a service using the known media channels. It is very popular with big corporations since it is one way you’re assured that your message will reach your audience.
7. What is the importance of advertising on the media? Can media exist without advertising?
8. Media is highly dependent on advertising as a means of earning an income. Does this compromise its standards?
9. Can large corporations that are doing perfectly well stay without advertising?
Business reporting helps analyze and report commercial activities that affect the economy. Business reporting is usually more detailed than some other aspects. It is also very factual, and requires the business reporters to make complex business reports simple for everyone to understand. There are lots of topics you can choose from when it comes to business reporting. They include:
1. Pandemics and economy. A look at different pandemics that have happened worldwide and their effect on the economy. What is the impact of Coronavirus on economy? How is it likely to cause the greatest recession to have ever been experienced?
2. Chinese economy. How has Chinese economy risen so steadily over the years? Will Covid-19 cause a halt on this steady rise?
3. Economy and social networking. How has social networking changed the way business is done? Is ecommerce the future of business?
Development is an essential part of our world. Development journalism deals with ideologies, policies, or events that help improve life. Development journalism is quite wide since it covers almost everything and anything that is meant to improve human life. Here are some topics you can choose from if you want to do a dissertation of developmental journalism:
1. Education still a distant dream for most children in poor countries. How can media handle the rising cases of illiteracy in undeveloped and developing countries?
2. FGM, rape and defilement, and domestic violence cases are still on the rise in many countries. How can media help in reducing these cases?
3. Poverty levels still alarming in developing countries. How can the media help in coming up with solutions for this?
Writing a dissertation on a journalism subject can be quite interesting. However, it is important to understand the nature of journalistic writing. Journalistic writing requires a more practical approach as compared to other fields. It is therefore important to use interviews, surveys, and other practical methods to collect data.
The little secret why your friends are earning better grades
Hire an Expert from our write my essay service and start earning good grades
Six Proven ways to cheat Turnitin with Infographic
What is The Best Font For A College Essay?
How to Write a Technology Essay: Tips, Topics and Example
Free sample paper on The Plight of Women in Medea
Understanding Philosophy of Nursing: Complete Guide With Examples
Each paper you receive from us is plagiarism-free and will fetch you a good grade. We are proud to have helped 10,000+ students achieve their academic dreams. Enjoy our services by placing your order today.
Copyright © 2017 Paper Per Hour. All rights reserved.